- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 tsp (or more) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- Kosher salt & pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 pounds mussels, debearded, scrubbed
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Sliced bread, toasted
- To make Lemon Aioli: Whisk egg yolk, garlic, and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Whisking constantly, drizzle in vegetable oil, then olive oil in a slow, steady stream; whisk until aioli is emulsified.
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, until it begins to darken, about 2 minutes.
- Add wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is slightly reduced, about 1 minute.
- Add mussels and 1/2 cup water to pot, cover, and reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mussels open (discard any that do not open), 10–12 minutes.
- Ladle mussels and broth into shallow bowls and top with thyme; serve with bread and lemon aioli.
- 4200051 - Whole Mussels Bell Harbor
- 2040048 - Kosher Salt Diamond
- 2000035 - Ground Black Pepper Marino
- 1000041 - Vitale Olive Oil
- 5100099 - Lemon Juice
- 0000040 - Fresh Garlic Whole Clove
- 0000020 - Jumbo Yellow Onion
- 1000755 - Tomato Paste Vitale
- 4900108 - Fresh Thyme