- 8 veal cutlets (about 3 ounces each)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 to 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 ounces Domenico Vitale mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup sweet Marsala
- ¾ cup low-salt chicken broth
- Leaves from 1 fresh rosemary sprig
Sprinkle veal with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 veal cutlets and cook until golden brown, about 1½ minutes per side. Transfer veal to a plate. Add another tablespoon of butter and oil, if necessary. Repeat with the remaining 4 cutlets. Set the cutlets aside.
Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add shallot and garlic. Sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add a tablespoon of olive oil, if necessary. Add Domenico Vitale mushrooms and sauté until tender and the juices evaporate, about 3 minutes. Season with salt. Add the Marsala. Simmer until Marsala reduces by half, about 2 minutes. Add broth and rosemary leaves. Simmer until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Return veal to skillet. Pour in all of the pan juices. Cook just until heated through, turning to coat, about 1 minute. Stir remaining 1 tablespoon of butter into the sauce. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
Using tongs, transfer the veal to plates. Spoon sauce over the veal and serve.